Thank you to everyone who supported me during the election campaign. It was a pity to fall short, but an honour to stand on your behalf. I always appreciated that it would be no easy feat to come from so far behind to win Littlemor. To win the votes that we did was striking, and I trust will be noted.
Email text below:
Dear Tiago and Nadine,
Firstly my congratulations to you both on your successful election this month. I wish you every good endeavour as you speak and advocate for Littlemore’s residents.
While I think it’s clear we do not agree on the implementation of the Low Traffic Neighbourhood (LTN) in Littlemore, I accept that Littlemore’s voters have placed their trust in you, and not in myself. From your campaign literature you have pledged to “monitor” the progress of the LTNs, and so I believe it is fair to say that this is the mandate you have been given by Littlemore’s residents.
In view of that mandate, I would be grateful for your direction regarding how you plan to monitor the impact of the LTN on life in Littlemore, and on what basis you will advocate to either maintain or remove the LTNs in future? As you have not firmly committed to either course, I appreciate you are entitled to consider viewpoints both in favour of and opposing the LTNs from those who live in the ward. Nevertheless, residents have trusted that your promise to monitor is also a promise to listen, and to heed what you hear. That being the case:
- Will you commit to a public monthly update on your impressions of the Low Traffic Neighbourhood?
- Will you specify the criteria on which you will decide whether you will express support or oppose the LTNs?
- How can residents express their observations and concerns to you, whether in favour of the LTNs or opposing them? Will you commit to sharing the points raised and speaking to them publicly?
- As the matter is subject to implementation by the County Council, will you give a public account of how you will use your position as Littlemore’s elected councillors to lobby with the County Council, and also to lobby your party leader in the city, Cllr Susan Brown, to advocate on your behalf?
- Do you commit to making your eventual support or opposition to the LTNs a public statement, including the basis on which you will support or oppose the scheme?
I have not yet contacted your colleague Cllr Paule, partly because her new email address is not yet available, and also because it is not yet clear on which party grouping will lead the County Council. I hope in due course to contact her directly regarding what she plans to do as Littlemore’ representative on the county council, especially when it becomes clear which Councillor will be responsible for oversight and implementation of the LTNs going forward.
Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you in future.